Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Coastal Living - November 2009


We received our November issue of Coastal Living magazine in the mail yesterday and I could hardly wait to sit down and soak it all up last night.

A quick glance at the table of contents revealed that this issue would include some of my favorite things- food, travel, decorating and Heather Chadduck.

Imagine my surprise when I flipped to the article Heather produced on page 28 and saw this old photo of the two of us working together on a tablescape...



Okay, okay! So I photoshopped myself into the picture. A girl can dream right? ;-)

In all seriousness, you have to check out "Seaside Style". Heather created three different beach-inspired tablescapes that are perfect for the upcoming holidays. In one setting, she used coral bush. And because of the photo of it on page 30, I am now obsessed with the stuff.
Don't even get me started on the driftwood garland and giant recycled glass marbles on the first page of the article. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!
Thankfully, they included the web addresses and phone numbers of the stores where you can find all of the items she used. Areohome.com here I come!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On page 37, I enjoyed reading about Coastal Livings Idea House 2009, located in the community of Seawatch in Sunset Harbor, North Carolina.



The interiors of the Idea Home were created by designer Philip Sides. He used "creative color combos and sit-down-and-stay-a-while furniture arrangements" throughout.
The house is simply stunning, but reading his name brought back some crazy memories.
Last year, before I started doing virtual design consultations full time, I must have sent out over 50 resumes to everyone and their brother. One of Kevin's tours had fallen through, so we needed to find ourselves some jobs fast. I didn't blog about any of the scary stuff that was going on in our world at that time, but let me just say that we spent many a night laying in bed, flinching every time we heard a noise because we thought the repo man was in our driveway. And keeping our utilities on became almost as hard as keeping our minds off the looming reality that we may lose our house.
Anywho...I really wanted to land a job in the interior design field, but would have been happy with anything at the time. Well, long story short- no one called me in for an interview or even responded to my letter/resume except for Philip Sides. And even though he was writing to tell me he couldn't hire anyone at that time, his courtesy was so greatly appreciated and his letter probably had something to do with the creation of my design business shortly thereafter.
It's crazy how small this world can seem sometimes!

Back to the Idea Home...
Here's a link to a video tour of it.
You may need to throw on a bib before you watch it. :-)

If you're lucky enough to live close to the house, you can purchase tickets to tour it here:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The November issue also contains information on the 10 Best Seaside Hideaways in Mexico. Check this one out:


Photographer: Tria Giovan


Can you say paradise? This is the Palapa Room at Verana, in Costa Alegre. If you're looking for seclusion, this is definitely the place to go. To reach the resort you take a 30-minute taxi ride from Puerto Vallarta to Boca de Tomatlán. Then a 30-minute boat ride, then a walk through a village, and then up a path to a seaside cliff. Sound exhausting? No worries―a mule will haul all of your luggage. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Family Ties" (on page 76) was an absolute delight to read as well.
Sherry Bilsing and her husband, Mark Graham, worked with designer Jackie Terrell to create a home filled with "vintage finds, a modest dose of color and kid-friendly style".

SO many elements in this photo on page 77 made me swoon...



Photographer: Dominique Vorillon


I love the clean-lined wainscoting. So crisp and fresh!
I love their use of casual, striped slipcovers on the normally "seriously-upholstered" wingbacks.
I love the little wood-topped stools, lined up in a row, underneath the windows.
I love the shade of green on the pottery sitting on the mantle.
I love all the textures. The wood floor, the charcoal-colored tile on the fireplace, the thick, plush rug, the Ikea basket filled with logs. They're all so scrumptious!
I love the vintage school poster hanging on the wall. The matting around it matches the wall color perfectly! I wonder which came first? The mat or the paint? :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could go on and on about this issue of Coastal Living, but I don't want to spoil too much. If you don't have a subscription, you can also visit their website to read some of the stories featured this month.

Thank you to the staff at Coastal Living for putting out yet another great issue!
And congratulations to the Editor-in-Chief, Lindsay Beirman, on the purchase of his new, bouncing baby boat, "Buttercup"! The story on page 12 about it was really fun to read. :-)

Layla


To read other Coastal Living reviews, visit these great blogs:

Coastal Nest
Completely Coastal
Beach Vintage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post was brought to you by...

27 comments:

Janean said...

we've visited a couple of their homes....oooohh very nice!

Kristin said...

May have to swing by Barnes & Noble tonight to pick up a copy!!

Thanks for sharing!

Kristin
www.domesticease.com

Unknown said...

I love that big chair!

Roeshel said...

Thanks for the reminder...now if I could just find the time to read it! Piling up. I need a paid holiday for magazine mental health.

Your photoshop cracks me up! :)

Have a great rest of the week!

Roeshel

Diann said...

Nice review...you've talked me into buying it.Maybe even subscribing.

Moore Minutes said...

OMGoodnes, you totally had me...well done. ;)

karlene said...

the photoshopping thing, hilarious!!!

Aura said...

You guys should take a trip to Puerto Vallarta! We went for 8 days for our honeymoon, and it was amazingggg. You fooled me with that picture ;)

Amber said...

Thank you for sharing the difficulties you faced last year. It's easy to look at someone's outward life and think it's perfect! But it's such an encouragement to see the transformation in your lives in the past year, as it brings me hope! (My hubbie is job hunting currently.)

The Tall Skinny House said...

You had me fooled with that picture...I would have believed that you were there with Heather! :)
I always liked her work in Cottage Living magazine. I miss that one! :(

s as in tset said...

I have to agree with Amber. I'm still fairly new to this blog, but my first appreciation for you two (besides the AWESOME DESIGN AND CAN-DO SPIRIT) is your ability to be creative to stay within a budget. That's real life for many people and I think it's an honorable example to share with others.

And after today's blog, to hear about your past job stresses and your recent successes, it makes you even more real. And it is also very inspiring.

Thank you for your honesty, your ideas, and your REAL-NESS. ;) I wish you two even more successes!

Southern Aspirations said...

Coastal Living is getting better and better all the time, isn't it!? So happy.

I too would like to thank you for your honestly about your struggles last year. Certainly not easy to discuss, but as Amber mentioned, important to remember that all have struggles.

Great finds in the magazine!

Mary said...

That is hilarious! I looked at the photos before I read the words...and I thought...NOW what the heck is she up to?? I really thought you had that photo taken with Heather. Too funny! ;o) ~mary~

KellyMellyBoBellyBananaFanna said...

what's that? i think i hear those resorts in mexico calling my name...

kelly
http://tearinguphouses.blogspot.com

Mom in High Heels said...

That photoshopped photo is hilarious!

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Your post alone was a double bib drool-fest! Yowza! I could live in any of those rooms - EASILY!

If you hadn't admitted to photoshopping that one shot, I would never have questioned it's authenticity! That was a fabulous job and you SHOULD HAVE been in that shot!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post, Layla. I appreciate your honesty and willingness to share a peek into your life that most bloggers keep hidden.

I greatly admire your determination :)

Jessica @ My Quarter Life Crisis said...

My boyfriend owns a house at the beach there and we went... and let me tell you, i would have paid $1000 to go through it again.

~Grace Happens~ said...

you REALLY had me in that pic of you! HAHA! xo grace

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Ah....Photoshop! How funny and clever!

Loved that DREAM house...what a nice fella to have responded to your resume'.

Warm blessings,
Spencer

Debra said...

Oh, I can't wait to read my issue!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Thanks soooo much for sharing...got my magazine the other day and I just have not had a chance to sit down with a glass of tea and read it...maybe this weekend! Hope you have a FUN day!

Blessings,
Linda

Somewhere In The Sun said...

You are too funny! I looked at that picture and thought "How did I miss seeing Layla in the magazine?!"

Mommabelle said...

It looks great! I can't wait to do more on my own home!

Tamara

Laura Trevey said...

Love your blog, and linked you in my post today!

xo Laura

Lettered Cottage said...

Thank you for all the positive comments y'all. We continue to struggle financially (working on paying LAST months house payment THIS month), but our blog gives us hope that one day we'll be out of this hole. We are constantly inspired by all the encouraging comments left here. We will continue to keep our chins up and to keep God in our hearts.
I'm sure one day we'll be able to look back and laugh about this time in our life. (Right?)
:-)

Layla

Anonymous said...

Love it love it love it! Craving paradise now!