Monday, January 11, 2010

Guest Post by Lysa TerKeurst

Going to check the mail was extraordinarily fun last week.
Not because our new mailbox stands up straight and has a door on it, but because I found a wonderful gift from my friend Lysa waiting for me...






Kevin and I met Lysa while we were at CBN in Virginia Beach. Lysa was on "The 700 Club" the same day we were and I've enjoyed reading her blog and getting to know her through email ever since.

I couldn't wait to open the package she sent, so I tore into it right there in the driveway. I started reading her book immediately. First, the Acknowledgments, then the Introduction, then Part One, then Chapter One. Then I read them all over again, out loud, to Kevin. :-) Her words immediately resonated with me, and I look forward to blogging about her book when I'm done reading it.

Today, we are so excited to have Lysa here as our special guest poster.
So grab a cup of something warm, make yourself comfortable, and be prepared to be moved by Lysa's touching story...


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Warm Icicles"
by Lysa TerKeurst

Last year my husband and I traveled to Vermont where I woke up one morning to stare at what an overnight snow storm brought us. I had never seen such snow in all my live long day. But what really caught my attention were gigantic icicles hanging from the roof line.

They were perfect.

As I stared out at them, suddenly a memory flashed across the screen of my mind.

It was about my Dad.
My biological Dad.
The one who abandoned me a long time ago and who knows nothing about my life now.

I don't have very many memories of him. And the ones I do have aren't that great. If I let my mind dwell on the gaping hole he left in my heart, I get sad even to this day.

God has been so good to help me see that I am not the child of a broken parent any longer- that I am a child of God. I am loved. I am treasured. I am wanted.

But sometimes, this nagging thought sneaks into the crevices of my heart and I start wondering, why didn't my Daddy love me?

That's why this icicle memory brought such joy to my heart. It is a good memory of my Dad. It rushed into my mind that morning in a way that brought a fresh, gleaming perspective.

I grew up in Florida which meant no snow- ever. But I remember praying for snow. Praying like a revival preacher at a tent meeting I tell ya'. If ever there could be snow in Florida, surely a passionate little girl's prayers could open up those heavenly snowflake storehouses.

One night, the temperatures dropped surprisingly low, and the weather man called for a freeze. This was a rare thing in our area. How tragic there was no precipitation on this particular cold night. It was the one night that snow might have been possible.

It broke my little snow bunny heart.

But the next morning I awoke to icicles everywhere.



Gleaming, dripping, hanging, light reflecting, glorious icicles were all over the trees in our back yard.

It was magical.

We were the only house on the block with this grand winter display.

Because I was the only girl whose Daddy thought to put out sprinklers on the one night it froze.

I don't know where this memory has been hiding for too many years. But what a gift. Somewhere in the deep, mysterious, broken places of my Dad's heart, there was an inkling of love.

I pray wherever he is today, he too remembers the night of the icicle wonder land. For it is a common thread of hope that ties too very distant hearts together.

And that makes me smile.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you Lysa!

It was incredibly comforting and uplifting to be reminded that we are all loved, treasured and wanted- no matter what is happening in our lives.

:-)


If you'd like to learn more about Lysa and her ministry, you can find her website here!

31 comments:

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed waking up to such a wonderful story!

Anonymous said...

Aw this brought a teer to my eye. I also grew up in Florida and I remember a few times when people on our road left the sprinklers on at night and the next morning while riding on the bus, I was in awe of all the beautiful ice-scapes as we rode down our street.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post to start out the week with. Thank you!

My Cottage Charm said...

What a lovely story. I can't relate to having a father that abandoned me because I have the best father in the world, but I can relate to having a heavenly father that loves me and sends me affirmation of that whenever I'm feeling down or alone. Thanks for such an uplifting post on a cold and frosty Monday morning!
Layla, I sure hope your sinus' are feeling better, that's some of the worse pain in the world! (besides childbirth, but that's another story! lol) Have a wonderful, blessed week and enjoy your book!

Tammy said...

Living in Florida and also being a child of a father who rejected her, I can totally relate to this post. Lysa has such wonderful insight and has a wonderful way of expressing it to all of us. I just got done reading her book and loved it. If you haven't checked out Proverbs31.org it is a wonderful inspirational site that Lysa is a big part of. Thanks for this post, it is wonderful to know that we are loved by God no matter who has rejected us!

The Whispering Creek House said...

beautiful...

geri said...

I wasn't going to stop, take the time and read something that looked like it would take too long since I was just running out.
I am sooooooooo glad I did take a few minutes to read Lysa's story.
It will definately be with me the entire day. Great way to starta Monday...actually any day.
Thank you Lysa and Layla.

Amanda said...

This brought tears to my eyes. Some sad, some happy. Because I can relate, on both sides of the story. The overwhelming grief and the unspeakable love. How special that memory is. I too pray that Lysa's father shares it with her to this day.

Kurtzhals said...

I have been waiting to hit "buy" on this book and I don't know why. Obviously I need to prioritize and get it into my cart ASAP. Thank you for sharing your beautiful treasured memory, what a nice morning read.
Blessings,
Shelly

Whatever Is Lovely said...

Hi Layla & Kevin! What a Beautiful Post!! I have an amazon widget thingy on my blog & Lysa's book is included in my list of favorites!!

Thanks for sharing this Lysa & Layla!

Blessings for a Beautiful week!
~ Teresa

DustyLu said...

God Speed. Love this story very touching. lulu

Jamie, the Very Worst Missionary said...

So lovely. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Lysa. That ministered to my heart today more than you will ever know.

MollyO said...

That was such a beautiful story. Thank you so much for sharing.

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

This is beautiful and poignant, Lysa.

I am so intrigued by the title of your book. Will definitely check it out!

Bethany said...

What a wonderfully beautiful story and the description as God our Father is exactly what I have been going through. Thank you for sharing. Blessings on this Monday!

-Meleah- said...

That story is so touching. I can empathize with you. I consider myself and orphan - no functioning biological mom or dad. All I can do is strive to be the best mom for my kids so they never feel the lonely feelings that I sometimes feel.

Lysa, I too hope your father takes a minute to pause and remember the morning of the icicles.

Anonymous said...

Layla,

This story compliments the one I posted this morning.
Thank you for introducing Lysa to us.

Deborah

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post,thank you.

Anonymous said...

Lovely...simply lovely.

Thank you so much!

Tricia - Avolli

DL said...

Layla and Kevin,
I love your blog and your amazingly creative ideas! I am even more of a fan because I love that you are using your blog to share the most important information ever....the love of the Ultimate Father. I hope this blog continues to be a great tool for ministry and I will continue to be excited every time I open Google Reader and see you've updated! Ps) Your photography rocks!

dmvoccola said...

And that is just how our heavenly Father sends love letters to us! What a great story and reminder to testify of His love for us--even when it comes in the form of icicles!

Magic Brush said...

Wow.... this was a surprising post for me to read. I just contacted my biological dad last October for the first time ever. He responded that he wanted no relationship with me. I've been working since then to let my heavenly Father heal my heart. Tell me more about her book... what's it about???

Kate said...

I really enjoyed the story!

I also wanted to say that I got my issue of The Nest... so exciting to see you guys in there!!!

Jancey Craig said...

Such a touching post. I grew up in PA, we always had snow in the winter...I know live in FL and miss the snow and icicles!

Steph. :) said...

I love Lysa! I have had the pleasure of hearing her speak and the honor of once writing for her group's magazine, P31 Woman. She is full of wisdom and authenticity and the LOVE OF CHRIST!!!! Thanks for sharing. :) Steph.

Sarah said...

Wow, I too love Lisa. Thanks for sharing her new book and post!
God's blessings, Sarah :D

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

I have been privileged to hear Lysa and lots of her Proverbs 31 Ministry ladies speak at Women's Retreats here in NC. Lysa's Ministry is based out of Charlotte, NC. I can't wait to get a copy of this book to read it. Thanks so much for sharing Lysa with us all today on your blog. Love & blessings from NC!

Unknown said...

Beautiful!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Oh how I love Lysa and knew your readers would love her as well. SO thrilled you were able to share your 700 club day together. And the Eddie posts were a blast...looking forward to seeing you at Blissdom. :)Kimba and I are rooming - come knock on our door any time.

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Layla and Kevin, what a beautiful, beautiful post, a wonderful reminder of God's love in the middle of my day. Thank you for sharing your friend Lysa with us. I will go find her book. xo Lidy