Thursday, June 18, 2009

Beachy Bedroom on BHG.com


Chaotic Playroom: Before

After years of video games, air hockey, and basketball, this bright blue playroom was transformed into a cozy master retreat. See how designer Jeni Hilpipre-Wright took this room down to the bare bones and into a beachy paradise.



Cozy Retreat: After

Beaded board on the ceiling, grass cloth on the walls, and painted faux studs were the perfect formula to create this Cape Cod feel. Jeni wanted to brighten up the room by using white furniture paired with soft blue and mushroom-color fabrics. Pops of bold red accents give the beachy color scheme a modern twist.




Mix and Match-
The room's focal point is the bed where the color scheme is in full bloom. A painted wood headboard with an upholstered panel carries out the beachy theme. For a new look, the headboard can easily be reupholstered or flipped to the other side, which features distressed beaded board in warm cream tones.




Quick tip: To give a traditional room a modern touch, use linens with a mix of colors and patterns, like these pillows which feature a strong floral look mixed with bold stripes.


Frame It-
A trio of vintage bird prints framed in old rulers creates a classic and unique focal point above the headboard.
Make it yours: Search local flea markets and antique stores for classic vintage calendars that can be turned into quick and easy artwork.





Double Duty-
To give the room a little more personality, a distressed sea blue chair, found at a local antique store, takes the place of a bedside table and adds to the room's beachy cottage feel.




Accessories and Storage-
This one-of-a-kind bookshelf was created by enlarging vintage travel ads and decoupaging them to an unfinished wood shelving unit.



Savvy storage: Wicker baskets, like the ones used in this bookcase, offer stylish storage for keeping everything in its place.


A Family Affair-
Personalized chairs at the end of the bed give this master bedroom a personal touch everyone in the family can enjoy. The folding lifeguard chairs are light enough to keep the room feeling spacious and can be moved throughout the home for additional seating.





Unique Shelving-
A grid of painted 2x4s adds to the cabin-like look and doubles as dramatic display space for beach-themed accessories.


Get the look: Simply attach to your wall grid together as one large unit. Then attach it to the wall. Make sure part of the grid is built into the studs for stability.


Customized Curtains-
To make room for this large dresser, the closet's bifold doors were replaced by patchwork curtains. To tie everything together, the panels are made from all the fabrics used in the room.


Save big bucks: Reuse and recycle pieces of fabric used in the room to create new accessories, such as the curtain panels, pillows, or chair covers.


A Cozy Spot-
An attractive blue and cream stripped chaise offers comfortable seating in the master bedroom. The drab carpet was replaced with new distressed hardwood floors in a light finish, to keep with the rest of the 1929 home.


30 comments:

Stephanie said...

What a dreamy bedroom retreat! So soothing and romantic, don't you think?

Aura said...

That bed is SO cute! And I love the texture on the walls.

Lynn Kellan said...

I love the creative use of the rulers as picture frames. Terrific makeover!

Tina said...

Wow! I love this. Especially that awesome chaise lounge. And our master bedroom definitely needs more space. Maybe take the door off of our closet and use it as a headboard? Ha!

Vanessa Greenway said...

It is really is a cahrming room. I love the ruler frames. Very clever!

Shannan Martin said...

Swoon-worthy. It's not 100% "my" style, but I do love it all the same. Such unique ideas! That blue chair definitely belongs in MY home! ;)

Wendy said...

I was intrigued by this room as well! So many interesting touches.

Unknown said...

Layla,

This room is very cute and coastal. Looks like something you would do. I can see why you were drawn to it.

Deb

Cheryl said...

Layla, I rememeber when they showcased that home in one of their magazines. I loved it! Lotsa neat little touches that make it beachy and comfy.

mindy said...

I love it, thanks for showing it to us!! Great ideas!

Farmgirl Paints said...

So cozy. I love the comfy bedding and the frames for the bird prints...so creative.

Tricia said...

What a transformation! I just love that distressed blue chair. I antiqued a similar style chair myself and have it sitting next to our guest bed with an extra blanket folded on it it case our guests need it.

Maya said...

I'm usually not a fan of wallpaper but this burlap like treatment really makes it so beachy with a tropical touch. Love the headboard and how the pictures are hung.

~ Kelly Ann ♥ said...

No way that breathtaking- lovely

Thanks for posting!

Kristi said...

I especially LOVE those picture frames made from rulers! I just passed by a bundle of them at a garage sale and hesitated for a second thinking I should buy them, but didn't know why. Darn, next time I'll know! I really like the different color rulers. I don't see colors that much but I remember my parents had a red one.

Courtney Baker said...

Wow! What a transformation. The ruler frames are a must save idea.

Tammy said...

What a gorgeous soothing beach bedroom. I just love all of the details!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

There are SO many things I love about this room! What a neat wall treatment idea with the woodwork! And patchwork curtain! Gorgeous...

Donna

Anonymous said...

Ooops, I think I'm in the minority!There are some interesting details here and clever ideas that could be adapted--of course it is a definite improvement over the chaotic playroom, but I'm not sure if it's a cozy master retreat or a beachy paradise. It still looks busy and cluttered to me with too many little things scattered around. . .hmmmm, it's probably just me--anyway, I can see how you could glean some inspiration from these photos :)! Love your designs! Sindy

Anonymous said...

I have saved the magazine this was in for a long time because of how much I love this bedroom. I go back to it often.

LeAnn:)

bella said...

gahhh! That is my dream room! LOVE the ruler frames!

Rebekah said...

I picked up the magazine this was in at the grocery store the other day. I love so many of the little details in this room. I think it'd be a perfect guest room.

Sheri Howard said...

When can we book a night in that room? How about a week or a month?

Meghann said...

I LOVE that headboard! Why the heck can I never find nice headboards up here in Canada (ok, ones that are less than $1000)?? We still don't have a headboard as I hate all teh ones I see in stores, lol.
Beautiful room!

Katie said...

That is the coolest shelf I have ever seen! Maybe I'll try to make something like that my next project after I finish painting my old trunk...

Tales of Whimsy said...

OMG
I'm sending the ruler frame idea to my husband right now.
We must must must reproduce these :)

AEOT said...

Ooh, I adore that headboard and the bedding. I'm linking that picture to a post I'm doing right now. Thanks for the inspiration today!

Ms. Witi said...

This is the BEST transformation I have seen in a long time. Love IT!!!

brockey said...

Love those liferguard chairs....I want one. Where ???

drama queen said...

rest & relax. luv it!