Sunday, September 13, 2009

Headboard Bench Tutorial

Hey gang- Kevin here!

I've had a few requests to post a headboard bench tutorial, so here goes! (Please keep in mind- I am not a professional carpenter by any means, and I was completely winging it on this one as usual!)

I started out by plugging in this guy...



We call him "Jaws". :-)

I gathered up a bunch of wood and pieces of beadboard paneling we had laying around from past projects- as well as a tape measure, a pen, some wood screws, an electric drill/screwdriver and a square. (which is actually shaped like a triangle- go figure)


I chopped up some 4x4's to act as the legs, and some 2x4's to connect the dots...


(You can click on any of the photos in this post to enlarge them for a closer look)




I attached a piece of plywood to the top...

Then I tipped the whole thing on it's back and attached beadboard paneling to the front and sides...

To finish off the edges, I attached some decorative wood trim across the top edges and a 1x4 board around the bottom...

I used L-shaped moulding to cover the seams on the corners, and I used a thin piece of wood to cover the seam, in the middle, on the front side...

The last step was to attach the headboard to my newly constructed base by using long wood screws.

Once I was finished putting it all together, Layla painted it and distressed the edges...


It only took us two days to complete this project- that's my kind of time frame!

I naturally gravitate to this spot now whenever I put on my shoes before leaving the house.
It's also become a popular spot for my.....hmmmm....let's see.....uh.....culinary-challenged wife to sit and watch me cook. :-)
I love seeing her sitting there- knowing that I (somehow) created this neat little seat for her so she could sit and talk to me (a mile a minute) about all the other things we could build together.
Hey, she might not know how to cook, but she sure has a way with junk!


Hope you have a great week and that this tutorial is helpful!

Kevin

PS...You can find the formula for the black paint color in our FAQ's section in our left side bar. It's the same color we used on our cabinets.


This post was brought to you by:

Trendy Home Decor Wall Decals

41 comments:

Steph said...

You guys seriously crack me up. I haven't figured out yet if this is a design or comedy blog.

Tanya said...

Love how your bench turned out. Great spot to watch the cook!

Kristen said...

I'd love to know what the paint color is for the black cabinetry and the bench (I assume they are the same??) It's so hard to find a good black!

The Tattered Cottage said...

You two are too funny. . .but what a GREAT team you make :) Love this bench!! I only have one question??? How easy would it be to make it into a storage bench, with the seat hinged so you could store whatever inside??
Toni

Sarah said...

Hmm, I think I need a bench like that so I can do the same thing Layla does! Cooking is certainly not my expertise either...

Traci@ Beneath My Heart said...

Love the bench! Great job Mr. TLC!
Hey Layla, just posted about some drop cloth curtains I made from your inspiration. Gave you a shout out on my blog! Thanks so much!
Traci

Room to Inspire said...

Great tutorial...love the bench, love the step by step! Thanks for sharing.

Chelsea

The Little Red Shop said...

Cool beans!

: )

Julie M.

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I love the idea of repurposing a beautiful headboard as a bench. With full-sized beds galore at yard sales and thrift stores, it's great to have a use for them when you don't need another bed. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Once again, you two or just too stinking cute for words. :)

geri said...

Kevin.
Great idea and step by step pics of how to do it!
I think it is wayyyyyyyy
easy to understand too.
If we ever made one you would see quite a different frustrated "tutorial".Much more throwing of things.
Can't wait to show my husband Glenn. I have an idea for a window seat. I think it would be the same way to construct.
Also loved the How to add a small shelf over the bead board in the dining room.
He may not be lov'in you guys as much as I do once I go into the gotta do it mode. hehe
Keep the How To's coming.
Geri.

Kasey said...

too funny and i love it.
xo

Its So Very Cheri said...

Great Tutorial, have had it on my honey do list for a long time-just waiting to get moved and settled so it is one less thing to have to pack and move.
Cheri

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

I'm new to your blog and I love it! Thanks for sharing your tutorial. I am married to a building construction teacher so I can get what I want made but I know not everyone can. Cindy

Carrie-Lee said...

Thanks for showing us, Kevin! I had a question for you I am sure you could easily answer, if not just tell me to forget it, ok? LOL. How do you install beadboard/wainscotting whatever you want to call it, without having seams where the pieces meet? In our last house it looked awful. Thanks.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Hmmm - I can cook, but now to see if my husband could actually do this?

Cheryl said...

Mr. L.C. thank you so much for sharing step by step how you did the bench...and keeping it real in your post. You both inspire me and make laugh.

duchess said...

Great job, Mr. I Can Fix Everything
I have a headboard sitting upstairs just waiting to be benchified. Now my hubby can use your instructions to get it done.

Barb said...

The bench turned out beautifully. Now, I just need to get my husband to break out the power tools.

Love your blog!

hugs,
Barb

Honorablyfallen said...

I have a thrift-ed headboard that I can't wait to get out of the attic now and put my husband to work! lol -Sarahlynn http://centuryoldhome.blogspot.com/

Heather said...

This is AWESOME! Thanks for sharing the how-to! Now to find a headboard....... :)

Decor To Adore said...

This is a wonderful project. I think the secret of a happy marriage is working together to create a wonderful home.

I have just finished a shower curtain that was inspired by your DROP CLOTH curtains. I included a link to your blog. Come on by if you have a moment.

Aura said...

Amazing. Thank you so much for all the tutorials you always post. Not only are all your designs inspiring, but on top of that you show everyone else how to get there, too.

The Flying Bee said...

Great tutorial!

Y'all are so cute!

Caro said...

FANTABULOUS!! gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

That is soooooooooo great! Can't wait to find a cool headboard that I can try and attempt this with! Thanks for the idea!

Meredith said...

Thanks cute Kevin! (Layla, don't get mad - I love love love how in love he is with you!!!)

This is perfect - I could use this to make banquets or more benches!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Team work....it's wonderful to see couples working together on projects...my hubby and I have been doing it for 24 years and I LOVE it! You should be real proud of the bench...it really turned out looking fantastic.

Blessings,
Linda

Love the Decor! said...

Love it you two are soo creative.

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial!! It was super easy to follow...if I ever make one. :)

Anonymous said...

I've done it! You inspired me to make what was displeasing to my eye- more beautiful! LOL I certainly don't have your eye for asthetics- but I do LOVE a good craft! Stop by my blog to view my creation!:-)

It' an Evolution said...

I have to say that blends in wonderfully! You are so lucky to have a helper..."The Accountant" loves to try to help but I know my way around the tools a little better than he does.
Janet

Tori said...

Beautiful work! One question: where oh where did you find untreated 4x4s? I have been wanting to build a parson-style table but cannot find untreated 4x4s.

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Is the lid hinged for more storage??

great job!

Kath' said...

Love this bench.. WOW I wish my Dear Husband would make things like this. I might tackle it myseld though. I love your blog and have became a follower today. Kath' at www.lilbitoldlilbitnew.com

{oc cottage} said...

Simply "letter-iffic"!

m ^..^

Michelle Baird Designs said...

Love the tutorial. Thanks. The best line of this post was "Hey, she might not know how to cook, but she sure has a way with junk!" I so had to laugh, this is exactly what my husband says to me. In my mind, a cute house is much more important than a yummy dinner.

missy said...

wow......i love it!!!!!!!

Brittany said...

LOVE it! Thanks for the tutorial. I'm linking it to my blog, just so I can have it for future reference. :)

Polly said...

Great result! If I had a place in my house for this right now, I'd coax my husband into making it as well!

Unknown said...

Love LOVE it! Yours is even better then some others I have been seeing around! :)
~Bridgette {allthingzrelated}