Monday, September 28, 2009

Trials and Trim-ulations

Hello!

Well, unfortunately trimming out the hallway has turned out to be a bigger job than Kevin originally expected, so it's taking a little longer to finish. It's not the end of the world, I'm just impatient and can't wait to see the finished product! :-)
Turns out this old place has a few less-than-straight walls and some not-perfectly-level ceilings to boot. I guess that's to be expected in a 60 year old house. The good news is, I think he figured out a great solution today, and now that the situation is under control, he should be able to finish all the trim work tomorrow. (No pressure though honey) :-)

While Kevin worked on the opposite side of the hall today, I seized an opportunity to push the linen press into place, just to see what it would eventually look like. We had no idea when we bought it that we'd end up using in the hallway, but it does seem like the perfect spot for it now!



Of course I couldn't stop there- so I asked Kevin to help me hang a big, wood-framed mirror on the wall above. It was left by the previous homeowners, and it just happened to be the perfect size- I love it when that happens!
Before we attached it to the wall, I painted it with leftover paint I had from another project and lightly distressed the edges to give it a little character.

Once the linen press and the mirror were in place I couldn't help but mess around with some accessories.



I clipped some branches from out back and stuck them in a $8.00 jug I got at HomeGoods a couple years back...



I brought in the small, silver trophy that I bought for $2.00 on the Endless Yardsale, and filled it with a $5.00 bouquet from Walmart...



And because every tabletop needs at least one book, I stacked a few of my favorites here. I bought them at an antique store years ago...



I love buying ones with sweet titles like these. :-)
I covered the top book with a piece of an old piano roll I had.
I love that you can see the lyrics on the edge.



I got a whole box full of piano rolls last year at a flea market in Montgomery. They cost between $2.00 and $4.00 each, and they make the cutest little book covers!

We've got an exciting giveaway to blog about tomorrow, so if you're feeling lucky- make sure to stop by and enter your name! :-)

Have a great week!
Layla


This post was brought to you by:

36 comments:

{oc cottage} said...

That trophy cup is the coolest thing ever! I swear...we cannot find any fabulous things out here because Rachel Ashwell gets to them first!

m ^..^

Dianne said...

I knew it would be wonderful and it is! The mirror is the icing on the cake. I cannot wait to see the whole room complete.

Wendy said...

It's looking great! I love the big mirror with the linen press underneath. Just lovely!

Life From My Front Porch said...

The old piano rolls as book covers! Definately my favorite item. Something I would never thought of, and an addition to my list of items to look for. Love it.

Natalie Meester said...

I love how your hallway turned out. I especially love the stack of books and the book covered with old piano paper. It adds another layer of texture.

Thought you might like the post I did on vintage swim baskets and a repurposed entry way my husband, son, & I did recently.

http://nataliemeester.blogspot.com/2009/09/front-entryway-in-our-home.html

Katherine said...

So pretty!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

It's looking wonderful already!

TanyaLea said...

Layla!...what a GREAT idea of using the piano rolls as book covers. YOU ARE GENIUS my friend! :)

Hugs,
Tanya

Linda in AZ * said...

* How many ways can I say "I love your style" and I SOOO enjoy your WRITING, too?!?!?!

Best,
Linda in AZ *

Cathy said...

It is all looking so good Layla! Y'all are doing a wonderful job..I love the linen press in the hall with the mirror above.

{{Hugs}}

Cathy

Tamera said...

Love it all! Hallways this cute? Who would've thunk it:)

The Blushing Hostess said...

I love this gathering of objects. Well done!

Anonymous said...

Looking great!!!!

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

The mirror opens up the space and the linen press fits perfectly...it was all meant to be! Your place is not just well designed and charming, it's quite romantic!

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

So that's what they call a linen press! Why is it called that? I was expecting to see an ironing board...LOL!!!

Looks great! Love that giant mirror.

Colleen said...

Oooooo I can't wait to see the rest!!

Polly said...

I love coming by your blog! You and your husband seem to make a great team! That trophy cup for $2!?!?!? What a great find! Have fun with the rest of this project!
Polly

the Schmidts said...

We seem to run into unlevel walls and ceilings in every project that we do at our house! It's 65 years old... SO I'm with ya on that one.

Grace said...

I love the character your linen press/mirror brings to the hallway...so fresh and clean looking. I can't wait to see all the "trimmings!"

Unknown said...

I love how the linen press just fits and looks as though it was made for that space. Now passing through your hall is a neat adventure Im sure.Hope Kevin doesn't have too much trouble today finishing the hall. Have fun!

Kasey said...

Swooning!!!
so beautiful girlie!!!!
when are you gonna road trip up here????
and bring Susie...
we could have a blast;-)
xo

"Blossom" said...

Perfect

declansmom said...

Layla...you really amaze me. I have been trying to put together my LR for the last two months, and I am still not finished. You put together a room in a weekend, and it looks spectacular!
LOVE, love, love the tiny part of the hallway. Can't wait to see the rest!

Aura said...

Beautiful! What's the paint you used for the mirror? I love it.

Erin Southwell said...

Absolutely gorgeous Layla! I love the color of the mirror in particular. Just perfect!

bakermom said...

It looks so wonderful already.

Melissa Miller said...

It looks gorgeous! Love the sweet book titles. :)

Rebekah said...

It looks so good!! Player piano rolls? What a great find!

Leen said...

Looking good!!

Moore Minutes said...

What a creative idea with your piano rolls! I was sooo excited for this post to load. I'm officially a Lettered Cottage crazy fan! ;) It is looking amazing.

Moore Minutes said...

Also, I'm having my first giveaway if you're interested:

http://www.mooreminutes.com/2009/09/pleated-poppy-giveaway.html

Twice Remembered said...

Layla, you are going to want to move into your new beautiful hallway now! It's so bright and pretty! That mirror is especially lovely - a great size, too!

geri said...

Layla.
It is so funny how a few ideas can stir up a whole lot of Big Changes.
Finding the right flower,the perfect color, using something special to us,and having it fit into our design dreams and seeing the end result is the most fun part of being in love with your home.

Everyone can see how much you love yours. It is done with such simple beauty.Love the white everything.geri.

paige said...

great vignette
i love how the silver & white work so well together.
great trophy score by the way

Lori said...

That linen press was made for that spot ~ I adore the finished product here!

Anonymous said...

what is a linen press anyway? and when I search for a linen press (because now I feel I need one...) they don't look anything like yours! Where did you get it? and where can i get one? :)

oh and did I tell you I can't get enough of your design style and your writing?!