Saturday, September 26, 2009

Raised In Cotton

The other night after reading our blog post about our transom opening, I received an email from Carol of "Raised In Cotton". She sent us photos of the transoms in her 140 year old farmhouse.

We were so excited to see they looked just like the one we had just cut out!




Her transoms made us feel even better about the impulsive decision we made to cut a hole in our wall! :-)





Of course, because we're obsessed with fixing up houses, we asked Carol if we could see more photos, and if it would be alright for me to blog about them. She sweetly obliged, and emailed us a handful of photos that literally had Kevin and I gasping as we scrolled through them...



Carol and her husband, a.k.a "Mr. PracticalPants", purchased the farmhouse this summer. One of the first houses in Jackson County, Missouri- it was built in 1865 by a farmer and his wife, who at the time owned 500 acres. The home sits on one acre today- which sounds a lot easier to mow. :-)
Painted in creams and whites, with nine foot ceilings and crown molding throughout, Carol said she "pretty much lost it upon stepping inside the front door".
Among other amazing details, the home has three porches with stained glass doors, a center staircase and formal foyer, and the most spectacular antique chandeliers hanging everywhere you look. Carol adores a "clean, farmhouse style with a just a bit of elegance", so for her, this house is perfection!
She described the experience of buying the place as a "dream come true" and was so surprised to find out that it sat just 5 minutes away from their previous home.

Since moving in, they've been doing renovations, such as replacing the wooden lap boards on the exterior, and re-doing the master bathroom- which actually started out as a closet. Carol has so many ideas, and I for one will be anxiously awaiting her blog posts as they lovingly restore this fascinating old place!











The dining room has a darling built-in window seat...



Carol's cuddly dog "Belle" likes it too...







The family room also has a window seat. The attention to detail in old houses like this really fuels our passion to buy a much older home in the future.



From the original doors, stained glass, mouldings and chandeliers throughout, to the amount of natural light flooding into each room, this house is simply breathtaking!



Thank you for allowing Kevin and I to blog about it Carol, and good luck with all of your renovations. We're so happy and excited for you!

Layla :-)


This post was brought to you by:


Trendy Home Decor Wall Decals

42 comments:

Katy said...

Beautiful house! I love the farmhouse sinks. I wanted to let you know that you inspired my husband and I to add wainscoting to our laundry room this weekend. We are only doing a side wall for starters, but I wouldn't have even thought about doing it ourselves with out your blog. Thanks!!

Sarah said...

i love old homes, these are great pics!

The House Creative said...

What an amazing place. Thanks for sharing this.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

This home is just gorgeous. I love all of it. Hugs, Marty

Kacey said...

You always make me wish I painted my interior walls cream or white...too bad my ceilings are too high and my husband refuses. I'll just have to figure out how to infuse some good ole cottage/airy style in another way. Hmmmm. Thanks for always posting inspiring spaces - including your own home!

southerninspiration said...

Layla, this post really should come with a WARNING........my keyboard is wet from all the drool!! LOL.....oh my gosh, what a gorgeous cottage!! I would love that!!!
Looking forward to seeing y'alls' redo!

suzanne

Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings... said...

How sweet of them to let you post their renovations....phenominal...You should feel very good about knocking out the transom holes in your wall now!!!! A delightful post.. inspiring, xoxo~Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Michelle Hughes said...

Oh thank you for introducing me to her... those chandeliers are completely droolworthy!

SMiles!
Michelle

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

What fun! I am crazy about the transom windows and her lovely farmhouse sink. I grew up in an 1830's farmhouse...someday I hope to buy it back!

ROSE VINE COTTAGE said...

I've been following her blog and when I saw that she purchased this old farm house I got butterflies in my stomach, I just loved it and I can't wait to see what she does! I have always loved transom windows and you guys did such a great job!!
Hugs~Kelly

Sheila said...

I swa these photo's the other day on her blog... I could see them over and over again BEAUTIFUL! Simple Elegance and it's best. Have a lovely weekend.

P.S. Your home is Gorgeous... from the first time I visited your blog I was hooked and became and instant follower.

Sheila

Unknown said...

thanks for sharing the pics of carols'house - just look out the windows behind the window seat!! lovely!!! Thanks.

Dianne said...

Carol's house is wonderful BUT I am waiting to see the hall! Please hurry!!!!

The Blushing Hostess said...

Just beautiful, and I love all the serene white...

Jeanne Oliver said...

Her home has me dreaming of an old farmhouse of my own. Gorgeous photos and the lighting is amazing!

Reid said...

Beautiful!!!!!!!! I am LOVING old famrhouses and if we ever move, that's IT for us!!!

Leen said...

I gasped several times myself! What a gorgeous home. I can't even get over that stained glass door. So fabulous!

blushing rose said...

Gasp! What a breathtaking elegant home redo ... TY for sharing. Have a great weekend. TTFN ~Marydon

Loui♥ said...

Beautiful! understated elegance..
fun, functional, flowing..
just love it!!
thanks ever so for sharing..
love your blog..eagerly tune in for each new post!!
♥hugs and smiles from Denver

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

WOW...what a beauty she is!!! Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,
Linda

Unknown said...

Wow! Now that is a awesome old house. What charm! Im glad she let you blog about it so we could all enjoy as well. I hope to see much more on this wonderful place~ Having a wonderful time at Round Top!!! You have to come with us next time...it's a must. Let's just say we have things strapped to the top of my car...no lie! WE look like hillybillies come to town~ Cant wait to get home a blog all about it.

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

Oh so beautiful! Where I live, there are not even houses that old! My house is 70 years old, and before that....mostly homestead shacks! Thanks for sharing this beyond gorgeous home.

Beautiful Handmade said...

I would pass out, too! What a beautiful home. I'd love to get my hands on it!

Remodeling Guy said...

Love the window seats and love the kitchen lighting. I would also LOVE to live in such an old house. Ours is the youngest house in the Historic District... and doesn't look historic at all! When I remodel it..I'll have to make it look older!

Thanks for the post!

Pony Girl said...

Thanks for sharing it, I will check out her blog! It looks amazing and elegant! I love old houses. When I was little I thought all old houses were haunted, LOL! They scared me. But now I live in a town with a lot of old houses, even lived in a few (that weren't haunted ;) and I have come to love their character.

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Huge, audible *SIGH*!!!!

Tricia said...

Wow- I am drooling over her house, just incredible! Thanks for sharing these with us.

Amber said...

All of those original stained glass doors are so beautiful! What a charming home! I would have been ecstatic to walk in those doors when house hunting!

Kristi said...

WOW! Beautiful house! I am in LOVE with the attention to detail in my 1930s house too! We are house hunting right now (we have no flat outside space & our 2 year old is dying to ride a tricycle and can't) and I can't even make an appointment to look at other houses unless the pictures online show me some detail oriented molding LOL

Laurie said...

So gorgeous. How generous of Carol to share her home with all of us! Thank you!!!

Janean said...

I visit "Raised in Cotton" nearly every day. She & Mr. Practical Pants are doing a great job. Like their style!

Ashley Schott said...

How lovely! I just love all the stained glass and the window seat:)

Wendy said...

I adore Carol and Raised In Cotton! Her "new" farmhouse is just beautiful...can't wait to see her put her lovely touch on it!

Philigry said...

beautiful post! thanks for sharing. i love her style, simple and clean. very inspiring.

DONNA OWNER OF "ON A WHIM" said...

What wonderful pictures. What a great old house. I so love old houses and this one is beautiful. I thank you for sharing, what an inspiration..

claudia b said...

Love it! It is my dream to buy a farmhouse so I will follow along!

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

Didn't Carol find a wonderful home? And with her sense of style, it will be even more so when she is done!

Love Being A Nonny said...

Can we see YOUR finished transom????????????????????

ZoeB said...

Don't want to seem rude but AAAAGH ! get on with it! Need to see the finished hallway. Too much suspense

vicki archer said...

A totally gorgeous house...xv

Katy said...

What a neat place.

Lana Manis said...

Hi! I found my way over frm Carol's blog, which I've been following for about as long as she's been blogging. She's such a sweetheart of a person!
I've really enjoyed my visit here and look forward to coming back often.