Thursday, September 30, 2010

Decorating a Hoosier Cabinet and a Twin Bed/Nightstand Update


The day we walked in to the Mess Hall, we found homeowner Pam's lovely Hoosier cabinet standing in the far corner of the kitchen...



See it back there?

I've always had a thing for Hoosier cabinets, so I was really happy to find it waiting for me to decorate!


(BEFORE)

Before we got here, Pam told me her main concern was that the place felt like a great, big mish-mash of random stuff.

But sometimes digging through all that "random stuff", and picking out the things that play nicely together, is all it takes to create a pulled together look for less.

Since the vintage kitchen table Pam brought over has a yellow top, and the bar stools she re-covered are now blue and white, I went on a treasure hunt for things that worked well with those two colors.

Here's what I found in various nooks and crannies around the house...


(AFTER)

We brought the seaside-inspired flag we made this Summer, and hung it on the wall above the cabinet.

And we left Pam some room on top of her handsome Hoosier, so that she could have fun expanding on her collection of blue & yellow goodies!
(And wouldn't a row of white ironstone pitchers look lovely too?)



"Wrangling" decor from around the house is one of my favorite things to do in the whole weird world.
I seriously have a really bad habit of breaking out into Wranglefest 2010 mode within seconds of entering someones house.

Do you do that too?


(Please tell me you do that too!)

I've found that most women are open to the idea of a quick re-fluffin', but that their hubbies sometimes get a little weirded out, what with me digging through their cabinets to see what kinda cool decor stuff they've got hiding in there and all.

Photobucket



Photobucket

Over in the "Twin Room", however, it wasn't quite as easy to pull together a fresh look for Pam without spending a liiiittle bit of cash.


(BEFORE)

She decided on a color scheme of blue and green in this room, so we went shopping for new bedding based on her inspiration colors.

We found a couple of pretty, reversible euro shams (for 50% off!) at Macy's.

One side has a colorful, floral pattern on it...



The other side is white, and has a little green detail around the edge...



The pillow case in front of it also came from Macy's (also 50% off!), and I'll have to post a closer up photo of it sometime because the pattern is TOO CUTE!

The throw blanket across the end of the bed came from TJ Maxx ($14.99), the white pick-stitch quilt on the bed came from Bed, Bath & Beyond (on clearance for $49.99) and the beige and white striped quilt was something Pam already had.

(Update: Pam got two sets of blue and white striped sheets this afternoon, and we look forward to putting those on the bed tomorrow!)

As for the rest of the stuff, we pulled the green, metal lamp in from the front porch, got the mason jar from a cabinet in the hallway, got the books from a bookcase in the living room, the flowers came from a bush in the front yard, and the shells came from a bag I found in the bottom of the Hoosier cabinet.
The suitcases were already there, and the headboard (Pottery Barn) was purchased from someone on Tybee for $75. (We got two of them so both beds will match.)

But the green lamp in the photo above was sorta just for fun (we thought it photographed well), because Pam actually got two little milk glass lamps for each bedside table in this room...





I ran the idea of adding some blue (or green) trim to the top and bottom edge of the shade by her, just to give it a little extra sumpin' sumpin'if she felt like it needed it.

(Hey Pam! I photoshopped some trim onto your lamp so you could get a visual- check it out!)



Anywho, Wranglefest 2010 will continue at the Mess Hall bright and early tomorrow morning.
We've only got three days to get the place done, and there's still LOTS of stuff to fluff!



Want more hoosier cabinet inspiration?

Liz decorated her pretty hoosier cabinet with stuff from around the house too!



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Want sneak peeks of our projects before we blog about them?

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter!Photobucket



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Need help arranging your furniture?

Need design help?

Check out my e-book!

55 comments:

debbie @ happy little cottage said...

You're not alone. I usually mentally redecorate someone's house when I visit. I usually don't tell them unless I know them very well.

The hoosier looks awesome and the bedding is yummy!

Tiffany Larson said...

The ribbon on the lampshade makes a huge difference - I would have never guessed without actually seeing it. Inspires me to start checking out my own lamp shades!!

Sandra said...

What a great job with cabinet - I've never seen blue hued mason jars before and they are to die for!

The headboards were a steal (do you know to buy a chair in the same grass weave up here in Canada it's about $400.00???) and are my favourite part of the redo/fluffing - the texture adds a little something to the bedroom.

Another thing I learned from your post today? That it's okay to mix and match shams with the bedding. I'd like to see more of how you decide on bedding as I'm forever struggling with what to buy for our own bedroom!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Definitely trim that lampshade! I love what you did with the Hoosier. It was kind of "blah" before, but now it really invites you to come in and admire!

Star Talks said...

I'm in love with this place already!!!! I want to copy every look. Amazing.

Deb said...

I just love your decorating Layla...every single room! If you ever start doing design consultations again...please sign me up! Deb

Tatum @ Tatum's Take said...

Hi Layla,

You did a fantastic job as usual. I need to think more like you. Everything you do seems effortless like you don't over think things.

Kudos!

Manymomentsofme.blogspot.com

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Layla, I wish you were here to re-fluff my house. It needs some help. You just have such a way with things. That bedroom is adorable and I love what you did to the Hoosier Cabinet. I have a beautiful old Hoosier cabinet that is in my parent's mountain cabin. Mine even has the Good Housekeeping seal of approval in one of the drawers. How neat is that?
Keep up the good work! Can't wait to see how the whole place turns out. Enjoy your weekend and don't work too hard. Love & blessings from NC!

lms said...

i love to redo homes too... when i go into a place that has lots of eye candy and no one to stop me...watch out...i love love love to do it...i call it playing house....you did a great job....want to come play at my house...

Kirra said...

that is amazing! i love what you did with it!!!

Megan // Honey We're Home said...

The cabinet looks so pretty and put together now. I'm impressed that you found all those items in her home- they look fantastic- especially the blue glass containers.

Micki Wilde said...

I refluff my home every couple of months, I like to do it especially in the front room with the changing seasons :)

Sue Pinner said...

wow! adore the cabinet perfect and inspirational for me right now thanks Layla..fabulous as always a huge admirer of your style been peeking for months now and loving everything you do
Hugs Suz UK

DreamCatcher said...

Very very very nice Layla!
The cabinet makeover is soooo well done.
The milk lamps however I don't think will work because they are too small for the bed's hight. Don't you think?
Something more tall and/or colorful would do the trick

brockey said...

Layla, It is so pretty. Are you still loking for a quilt you tweeted about http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190412662932&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_672

Shawn said...

You are amazing Layla, I love the way you pull everything together, perfect touch with the lampshades!!!

JettB said...

Wow! I love it all! I think I want to drag my old hoosier up from the basement now....

Lili said...

Loving it. This is Goooood :) :)... and the bedding...really nice... :)

Traci said...

I have a hoosier cabinet in my dining room and never thought about flinging the doors open for display - I love that idea....Thanks for sharing your beautiful ideas! Can't wait to see it all!

HoosierHomemade said...

Wow! Thanks so much for including my Hoosier Cabinet! I love how you added the Aqua Mason Jars and the yellow, beautiful!! I'll have to remember that for Spring.
Right now, by Hoosier is all decked out with Fall colors...
http://hoosierhomemade.com/fall-decorating-for-the-hoosier-cabinet/
Happy Fall!
~Liz

Kim-A Creative Spirit said...

So bright and pretty... everything you have done so far... OOOOOO I forgot about that flag... I gotta go back and maybe make one of my own....

kath@retromantic antiques said...

So cute as usual. Love the pulling things they have. Hey if anyone is looking for a Hoosier and lives in WI pop me a note. Got one for sale at a GREAT price. Mine is all decked out right now with grandma kitchen necessities.

geri said...

OH MY!!!
I am so living through you guys.
I can't decide what is more fun.
Tybee Island, doing a redo,being able to rummage through fun stuff.
It is all to AMAZING!!!
You have done it again Layla & kevin.
the spaces you create from mostly
what people have are always Decorator quality, homey and special cause they aren't the usual.
It is so much harder to do magic on a very small budget. so much more rewarding though. can't wait to see each new room redo. Love it and you guys. geri.

Anonymous said...

Layla,

It is absolutely gorgeous! This side is now worthy of it's counterpart, The Screened Inn. The hoosier looks wonderful after adding a few pieces with color and what better home for the flag you created? The headboards? PERFECT! I am loving the bedding you decided on and the green lamp adds some punch to the makeshift bedside table.
Having another blog sale!

Your Friend,
Deborah

Micah said...

I just HEART your style! Amazingly talented!!!

Kathy Kupferschmid said...

Hi Layla...thanks for all your inspiration!! I love visiting your blog! I own a little shoppe and we were asked to redo a lake home room using their "old treasures"!! It is our first "paid" job and it has been fun and challenging!! You are so right about the men...her husband was a nervous wreck with us going through "his stuff"!!
Thanks for letting us be a part of what you do...so fun to see the transformations!!
Kathy

MilkMaid said...

So cute....so smart! Can't wait for the rest of it.

And yes, I rearrange and move into every place I go. It's a sickness.

Sharon@Sharon at Home said...

I loved the green light .... the scale was perfect and it drew the green out of that pillow. The white lamps are very small and blah without the trim ... I would go for green!

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

If you're ever in the Pacific NW, and want to wrangle away, you are welcome in my HOME!! Then maybe it would actually sell. :) You amaze and inspire me. Do I always tell you that? Cause I always think it!!!

Leah C said...

It's looking great! And I love how you "fluff that stuff":) What a difference it makes!

Teresa said...

Oh the fun....and how adorable everything looks....love the teal colored mason jars....

Geezees Custom Canvas Art said...

What a great job! Love the suitcase and the lamps!

Gail said...

Ya'll always find the best bedding! It took me buying 4 different blankets recently for our guest room to finally decide on one I could stand behind....I know I was taking it way too seriously but I feel like the bedding is the backdrop to what the rest of a room should look like. Anywho, I also love the Hoosier cabinet. Nice job shopping the house! And you MUST add the trim to the lamps. Too adorable. ;) Good luck with the rest of the house....get some rest!

Karen said...

I love what you've done with the place! you're so talented and creative. I love the idea that you find "treasures" within the home to add sparkle and style to the room.

Karen@Garden, Home and Party

Anonymous said...

I'm going to run to Macy's. Those pillows are too cute!

Jaimie said...

I love the pattern on the sham and the hoosier looks awesome! Also, I think the trim would look great on the shade.

Anonymous said...

Digging through stuff behind client's closed doors is the best part of the job!
I have found sterling silver serving pieces, ironstone, antique paintings....on and on.
Love to see their faces when we shine a new light on their old cast-offs.
Great job on this.

Amber said...

That lamp definitely needs a little trim! The blue makes it pop so much more. All white it sort of blends into the wall.

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Your wranglefest comment made me laugh. I've told my husband before that if I'm ever sitting quietly in a room, he doesn't need to ask me what I'm thinking about. I am redectoraing the space in my head. :)

Amy R. said...

Love it all! I love searching the house for fun stuff, but it doesn't work with just ANY house, I have learned! Can't wait to see it all done!
Amy

Sheila said...

Layla
I love your blog. You are so crative. Wish you were in Florida.
You could come plunder through my house anytime and help me redecorate.
Thanks for the wonderful ideas.
Have a great day!
Sheila

Olde Tyme Marketplace said...

I want a WRANGLEFEST 2010 T-shirt!! LOL! Yep, I love doing that sort o' thang too.
AND...that green lamp should stay! It looks great and the scale is perfect!
Let me know when the t-shirts are ready and maybe a tote bag!!
:0)
Beth

My Cottage Charm said...

I'm a wrangler too! :) I have usually decorated a person's house in my head by the time my first visit to them is over. :-o It's always exciting to me when they ask if I'll help them come up with some ideas for their home, cause then I get to actually say it out loud! :-D
Love the hoosier cabinet..I have one too and I DO have a row of white ironstone pitchers across the top. :) LOVE IT! I want some blue mason jars now though..love how big the ones you used were! I have some in my laundry room, but they look so cute in there all filled with buttons and laundry stuff that I don't want to "shop the house" and take them! :-D
Tell Kevin, TJ said congrats on his single coming out...can't wait to see how wonderful it does!! :)
Love ya!

Courtney @ One Fine Wire said...

Absolutely gorgeous - you've somehow mixed country chic with beach...well done!

Nickie said...

Fan Request! When you do the reveal for this project...can you use the cool 'presto chango' code so I can just flick my mouse across the pics?? I love that.

Cookie said...

Wow loving the redos! I really love the green lamp the scale is perfect and they make the bed pop!
The little lamps are cute but so tiny...Maybe she will change her mind? Great job as always guys!!

Unknown said...

I totally love the way the green lamp looks. The milk glass lamps are cute but would be too small to actually read by...and I'm a big reader in bed! :)

Sue said...

How about a suggestion -- switch the green table out with the Hoosier cabinet. Putting the cabinet between the windows would make it more visible and the flat screen TV could sit on the cabinet ledge.
I'm doing this with a wooden hutch -- moving it from the kitchen into the living room, painting it bright colors and putting a TV in it.
Love the blog!! {{{hugs}}}

Tammylee said...

The green lamp looked so much better. Right scale and great color. The milk glass lamp is cute but too dinky for the space.

vicious*vintagechic said...

Love everything, except the milkglass lamps. You're right, Layla, totally need something with color and height there.

Anonymous said...

I would love to have you wrangle my house!

Katie said...

Layla, you're brilliant. I really admire the way you can pull things from around the house to create something so beautiful and simple.
Thanks for all the inspiration!

Kim said...

Just thought you would like to see my new room...remember the addition that you did the design for? The construction is done. I'm still tweaking things but love it.

The Shoestring Contessa said...

I love this! Very inspiring...and very exciting that you get to get up every day and do something that you just love doing.

Unknown said...

These rooms are fabulous, especially with special attention paid to the furniture. I came across your post this afternoon while browsing interior design blogs and your take on interior décor is exquisite. Are there any window treatments that would match with decor such as this? It is true that you must dress your windows appropriately to bring out their true beauty. Thank you for writing and as a special thanks to you and your readers, I would like to offer a 20% off coupon using this code upon checkout: BLG20.