Monday, September 27, 2010

Redecorating the Enlisted Mens Mess Hall on Tybee Island, Georgia


This week is gonna be a wild one!

We're back on Tybee Island (in Georgia), and we're redecorating a cottage called "The Enlisted Mens Mess Hall".



You may remember it from the re-do we did earlier this year at Screened Inn.


Click to launch the full sized magazine


The Mess Hall is on the other side of that same building, and we'll actually be staying at Screened Inn while we work on the Mess Hall side.

It's been raining almost non-stop since we got here on Sunday afternoon, but MAN does it feel good to be back here again!

Photobucket

After Googling "open houses on Tybee Island", and discovering this post on our blog, a sweet gal by the name of Pam wound up buying the place from Diane (who owned it while we worked on the Screened Inn).

Shortly after closing, Pam called us up and asked if we'd come back and re-do the Mess Hall side so that the whole place would feel cohesive.

Of course we said yes, and we're so pumped about the challenge she's given us!

Pam's already brought over lots of goodies for us to work with, and she's open to shopping for any additional items we might end up needing too.
(a.k.a- a new couch, bedding, throw pillows, towels, etc.)

Should be a good time, 'cause creating "happitats" is my favorite thing to do!



Photobucket

Here are some photos we snapped of the place today...

When you walk in the side door (which is the door most folks use to get inside the place), you're in the living room/kitchen...







A teeny tiny hall leads you to the front bedroom...



It has two twin beds in it...







It's also got a little bathroom connected to it...



At the back at the cottage, you'll find the master bedroom and master bath...





We forgot to snap a pic of the bath though, so we'll have to blog about that one later.
(Oops!)

'Til next time,



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS-

You can find more information about the Mess Hall here, and for all the details on Screened Inn, click here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join us on Facebook & Twitter for decorating updates throughout the day today!

Photobucket



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Need help arranging your furniture?

Need design help?

Check out my e-book!

43 comments:

CalleLillyCafe said...

I'm so looking forward to the finished photos & in between too! How cool is that? I loved what you did w/the Screened Inn. Can't wait to see the outcome of the Mess Hall! =)

angela walker jewelry said...

So excited that you guys are doing the other side! I can't wait. : )
Health and happiness to you both,
Angela

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

Love the magazine. The lettered wall is my favorite.

Jennifer Nicole said...

What a fun project to work on! Looking forward to the end result. Happy decorating!

Rachel Noelle Pallas said...

~*I cant wait to see how you guys transform the spaces! LOVE the headboard of doors that is already in the master bedroom! ;)Rachel~*

carol martin said...

So happy to hear you guys are back in Tybee! Once you finished the Mess Hall you guys can stop by my 1920' Cape Cod Bungalow in Eastside Savannah and give me some much needed advise on this long & narrow living room. Bring the cameras, I have lots of "junk" to use (perfect for you new show that I know will get picked up) And we can end the afternoon with that fantastico Cuban lunch I wrote you about! I love your brain!

denise said...

Keep the doors!!! If not, send them to me.

Ness Lockyer said...

That place is amazing and what a outlook with the palms. It will be gorgeous once you guys have finished!!
Ness xx

kathie said...

Have fun on Tybee ~ it is one of our favorite places!! Can't wait to see the transformation :) Aren't all of the cottages fabulous?

Lili said...

It sure looks pretty good on the Mess Hall site. I can see that it needs the Layla/Kevin's touch. But I like it.
Ya gotta be born with this touch...I'm on my 4th try in my master bedroom...URGH! LOL! Can't wait to see the finished Mess Hall pics.

Anonymous said...

So happy the cottage you are working on is the 'bad twin' of the Screened Inn. It needs some TLC too! Watching you live your passion is a joy to others.

Your Friend,
Deborah

Kimberly @ DibbleDabbles said...

I love Tybee! I haven't been back since I was a kid though. Have fun and can't wait to see what you guys do!

Kim
Athens, Ga
Kimieann.blogspot.com

Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating said...

How fun for you! Can't wait to see the finished rooms. They look like they have tons of potential.

Unknown said...

Have fun you two! Maybe one day we can all get together there and sit on that awesome porch and watch the sun set. Maybe even dance..ha! I love ya'll so :)

Michelle said...

I can't wait to see the results!!!

Sami Jo said...

I LOVED! The Lettered Cottage Magazine! Thanks so much for sharing that with us - Can't wait to see how the Mess Hall works out for you - looks like there is already lots of goodis waiting for ya.

Happy Whistling! The Lady of the House

michelle said...

So Fun!!! I can't wait to see what you do with the place!!!

Leen said...

Can't wait to see your magic! Wish we were there with you, even if it is raining!

Urban Heirlooms said...

All those beautiful windows and wood floors! I can't wait to see this unfold! I know you'll work wonders.

Valerie@chateaualamode.typepad.com said...

Can hardly wait to see...keep us posted! It looks like it will be lots of fun! You're lucky you guys get to work together!

Teresa said...

Oh Happy Day...more goodness to come....can't wait.

Christene said...

So much promise! I can't wait to see you working your magic on that little place!

Christene from Whipperberry.com

Lolo @ The Adventures of Stig and Lolo said...

Oh my goodness - what fun! Those turquoise shutters are calling my name!! You two are such an amazing team....cant wait to see how you "happitat" the Mess Hall :)

Nic said...

I'm so excited to see what you come up with this time. I have been following your blog forever! I have never made a comment but this week I have been needing an escape and so I go to your blog to get it. It did the trick! Imagining you there creating something so beautiful makes me smile and I cannot wait to see the results! I have loved decorating since I was a little girl and plan on buying a beach house of my own one day! Good luck and thanks for always making me SMILE! Nicole

Amanda said...

Being married to an enlisted man myself, I keep hoping for orders back across the country and I am going to make a trip to Tybee. Your pictures have me captivated. We are both AL born and bred and can't wait to be closer to home.

Gail said...

How fun! I know ya'll will make the place look amazing as always. ;)

My Cottage Charm said...

Happy Decorating! Wish I was there! Can't wait to see the results! <3

Elisabeth said...

It's pretty cute already but I'll be excited to see you guys work your magic on it. I loved the last ezine!

Maevy said...

Ooh, that's exciting, can't wait to see what you come up with!

Traci@ Beneath My Heart said...

Oh how fun! You guys are going to do a great job there. I loved watching the progress on the Screened Inn, so I can't wait to watch this transformation.
Yeah!

WhisperWood Cottage said...

The mess hall has "good bones." I look forward to seeing how you infuse it with Lettered Cottage style.

vivi2002 said...

Layla! This is awesome and you should consider it even more awesome that I'm commenting as I NEVER do! =) Can't wait to see what you do with this place. I know it will be magic, but I have to tell you that I've been checking religiously to see what you do with your new bedding on your bed!!!! I just ordered the Eliza duvet cover from PB and now I have NO idea what to do with it. You should do a post on dressing a cozy AND cute bed. Pretty please!

Anonymous said...

wow, checked out the screened inn magazine - love what you did with it. Can't wait to see how this one evolves!

Anonymous said...

Tons of potential here! Eager to see what you all do with the space. Enjoy Tybee!
Jenn

Rhiannon said...

It's gonna be cute Layla! I can't wait to see what you do so I can "borrow" ideas!

Ashley said...

I love seeing what you two do with places! Those folding doors behind the master bedroom bed are amazing. Seriously... I had not heard of Tybee Island before reading your blog, and it's on the top of my list of places to visit soon! :)

Enjoy your time there.

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Those blue shutters are amazing! I am looking forward to how the place turns out. I'm sure you'll have a blast doing it.

Sabrina said...

I can't wait to see what you guys do with it! PLUS, if I were wanting to rent The Screened In for a stay, who would I contact? You can e-mail me privately at sabrina0909@comcast.net.

Kirsty Girl said...

I just love the doors as the bedhead! Soo pretty!

Stephanie @ dial m for minky said...

oh my gosh! We are in Savannah right now, thinking about checking out Tybee tomorrow or the next day,how cool you are there! ( I won't stalk you, I promise.) I can't wait to see the final reveal!

Andrew White said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mona Kay Gorman said...

Gorgeous!!! I know you're going to make something very special out of this terrific place, and I CAN'T WAIT to see the pictures!!!

Kate at Dream To Life said...

I am completely digging the blue shutter headboard! Are you keeping those in the room? Can't wait to see!

cheers!
kate