Sunday, August 29, 2010

Junkin' in Nashville with Rhoda and Kim!



A couple of years ago, I stumbled onto something called a "blog" written by this lovely lady...



I discovered one written by this gorgeous gal on the same day...



I remember feeling so inspired as I read through what they referred to as their "posts".

And I was extra-ecstatic to find out that they both lived just a little ways up I-65 from me! (Rhoda is in Birmingham and Kim is in Nashville.)

Fast forward to yesterday.
The three of us got together for a little fun at the Nashville Flea Market, so I thought I'd share some photos of the stuff we saw, here on the blog today.

Photobucket

I had PLANNED on shooting lots of video footage- but because I forgot to put a memory card in my new point-and-shoot camera (Kodak EasyShare M580 from Office Depot), I was only able to take a handful of pics...















Rhoda posted lots more photos of all the fabulous stuff we saw over at her blog though.
Here's a few that feature some of my favorite finds of the day...











I fell in love with so many things!

But since I'm on a MAJOR simplification kick, I really didn't plan on buying much.

I did find an irresistible, old ladder marked at $15 though- and I ended up snaggin' it for just ten bucks.

It just barely fit in my rental car...



We couldn't figure out how to get the back seats to fold down, so we had to get creative.

(And, yes, I did make a blonde joke as Rhoda and I struggled to wedge it into place.)



I was instantly drawn to it's boat-like shape...



And, of course, I dug the writing on the side of it...



And all the little metal bits too...





Not sure where it'll live yet.

Maybe in the guest bathroom, up against the wall as a towel rack. (?)

Who knows!

For now, it's hanging out in our dining room.

Along with our bed...



Photobucket

Ah, life in a fixer!



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interested in checking out the Nashville Flea Market?

Here's all the dirt...

Location:
• 625 Smith Avenue- Nashville, Tennessee
•Tennessee State Fairgrounds

Dates and Times:
•Fourth weekend of each month, except December
•December flea market is third weekend of the month
•December - February: Noon to 5 p.m. Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday
•March - November: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday

Admission:
•Free admission
•Free parking on Friday
•$4 parking on Saturday and Sunday
•$35 overnight RV parking
•Service animals only

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS-

The winner of the Timeless Settings dishtowel giveaway is...



Full of Grace x 7!

Congrats!
Drop me a line at LaylaPalmer@aol.com to claim your pretty prize!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wanna join us on our next junkin' excursion?

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter!

Photobucket



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Need help arranging your furniture?

Need design help?

Check out my e-book!

37 comments:

Katie said...

Oh my goodness you were in Nash today? I totally would have come to the flea market to shop with yall! :)

nat said...

Ahhhhh! I was there today... there were so many great treasures!

Maybe I'll bump into you on your next visit to the Nashville flea market!

P.S. love the ladder you found!

Kim @ Twice Remembered said...

What fun we had! Lordy, the heat just about killed us, lol! Well worth every minute of it, though!

Worn Cotton said...

Ahhh...me too!! I live right outside Nashville! That ladder is such an amazing find!!

Rachel Noelle Pallas said...

~*~Im so proud of you Layla for sticking to a budget!That can be hard to do at a fabulous junk market!!;) LOVE your new ladder too~*~*Rachel

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

That flea market looks pretty amazing! Glad you ladies had so much fun. I really like your new ladder. Very unusual. Have a great week! Love & blessings from NC!

Mandy said...

Great flea market, isn't it? I live just a little north of Nashville. Glad you had a good time!

Sandra said...

I am SOOOOO jealous! We do not have markets like those here...we do have some pretty cool antique shops but we still have to pay attention to when things are reproduction vs the real thing.

I would go absolutely crazy in a place like that and I'm sure UPS would make a fortune shipping it all back to Canada for me!

PS - I love the boat-curved ladder...

All That Jazz said...

What a fun, fun day!! You saw some great treasures, I would love to go to a flea that big. That ladder is awesome and it's so YOU! Can't wait to see what you do with it. I think it was a great deal for $10!
~michelle~

Samantha2818 said...

I so wish we had this kind of thing in the UK. I would love to come but would probably blow the budget.
Love your ladder but also love the swan and the table with the truck on the top.
It's very hard to find old pieces like this over here - maybe I should hop on a plane for the next one! (in my dreams!)
~Sam

Sophie said...

So much cute stuff! I wish that I wasn't 4200 miles from there... That sucks, doesn't it?
And your ladder is SO adorable! It'd make an amazing towel rack (:
I admire your self restraint. Had I been there, I would've spent every penny I have... :|

From the Old InkWell said...

Been there many many times! You never know what you'll find! I would have loved to have run into you all!

Toni said...

Fabulous ladder! I'm pretty sure your ladder is an apple picking ladder. Its narrow at the top so it can lean against the tree!

Unknown said...

Great ladder!! I was instantly drooling all over that huge carty/table thing with those wheels.....oooooh it would be THE coolest kitchen island, wouldn't it???!!!

Christine Trebendis said...

Hi Layla,

Looks like you had a wonderful time at the flea market. I live in Nashville. Would have loved to meet you girls. I read your blogs every day and feel like I know you already. Maybe next time. I'm so inspired by you. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Layla,

I think I need to plan a road trip down south. You, Kim and Rhoda are all to blame for my blogging. I mean, you inspired me!
I have a ladder in our master bath. I will get photos to you this week. You have an orchard ladder, used for fruit harvesting. Great find for $10!

Your Friend,
Deborah

wgleaves said...

The Nashville Fleas market is a great place to find treasures. There is always something new there each month. I sure wish I would have known you were visiting and I would have joined you ladies on your excursion. Hope you enjoyed your visit.

Ally said...

Gaaah! I love that trencher! I've been looking for one for months, but maaaaybe not quite THAT big :0)

erin's art and gardens said...

i was just there on friday and scored some great Justin boots for twenty bucks...it was soooo hot outside!! i am ready for fall!

Screaming Meme said...

So fun! :( I am jealous...lol! I came by to share a client's Coastal Farmhouse with you...here is the link..Hugs,Meme

http://thescreamingmeme.blogspot.com/2010/08/my-homeokaya-clients-home.html

Missy said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Nashville Flea Market! I'm there every month but skipped this one cause we were in the middle of a move. The finds are amazing and I spend WAY too much money there! :)

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

You lucky ladies, looks like such a fun time!!!
XO
Kristin

Nicole-Lynn said...

So fun! I see a lot of great things there :)

Anonymous said...

You had a full day and a blast!
I have to find more junking friends.

Jess @ Reclaimed Marketplace said...

I just wanted to drop you a line to let you know I have been reading your blog and loving it! I think the videos are such a fabulous way to get to know you and your hubby. We are brand new to the blogging world. I wanted to thank you for providing us all with such great things to read and be inspired by.You have done such a fabulous job! I would love if you would stop by our new blog. Any feedback coming from you would be so incredible. http://myreclaimed.com/blog/ -Jess

Unknown said...

Love your finds. I can tell you this - I've never seen a Flea market with items that look as good out in the west!

Cathy said...

THe notch in the bottom of the ladder makes me think it's a library or pantry ladder...the kind that slide on a rail?

Carol said...

Love all the finds... would it be unreasonable of me to drive from Central Texas all the way to Tennessee just to go to this? I'm sure something amazing will become of the ladder.

Carol
antiquetexan.blogspot.com

Amy Kinser said...

I LOVE the Nashville Flea Market. I try to go every other month as I only live about an hour away. Did you hear they might be closing it soon? I would be terribly sad. Your ladder is wonderful.

Thanks for stopping by over at my place and commenting on my carpenter's box. I bought it at the Nashville Flea.

AntiqueChase said...

I really really love the ladder... lucky you!

Kathy Kupferschmid said...

Such a cool ladder...never have seen one like that! Really love your blog...so inspiring!

Sarah said...

My husband & I were there too...we moved to Nashville a few months ago so this was our 1st flea market experience. We loved it!
Love your blog...

CarolAnne - camdesign said...

love the pic of your bedroom, sweet pup nice touch...

Megan // Honey We're Home said...

Sooo jealous! How awesome to get to hang out with blogging friends!!

Adam and Natalie said...

How about you simplify even more and I'll give you 20 bucks for the ladder? :)

Seriously, you WOULD find that! That's so awesome!

Candice said...

I love the flea market! I was there on Saturday and saw those tall blue windows and red letters. Wanted both, but ended up with neither!! Hope you had fun!

Heaven's Walk said...

Oh my gosh, Layla - I am so loving your blog, girl! I just discovered it, spent an entire evening surfing around it and adore your sense of style. I spent hours looking through your e-zine (reminding myself not be jealous! lol) and gathering so many incredible ideas. You have a special gift, Layla - and I'm looking forward to following you and learning from you! :)

xoxo laurie@heavens-walk