Sunday, August 15, 2010

Miss Mustard Seed's Gorgeous Guest Bedroom

Meet Miss Mustard Seed...



She writes a fantastic blog...



She was kind enough to share some photos of her newly re-done guest bedroom with us recently and we were truly blown away by the results of her makeover!

She said loved the look of the exposed boards in our guest room, so she decided to find an inexpensive way to replicate it in hers.

After going row-by-row through Lowes, and pondering everything from fencing to pine boards to wood shingles, she finally settled on masonite.
They sliced it into 4" widths and attached it to the wall using a nail gun...







The total cost of the wall was about $30.00, and the paint is "Crisp Linen" by Sherwin Williams.

Click here to read her full
Wood Wall Tutorial

Photobucket

Here's what she had to say about all the pretty furnishings and accessories she incorporated into the room...

The bed frame belonged to my great-grandmother, so it's a very
special piece to me.



One of my best friends purchased the bedspread for me at an antique store. The European pillows came from TJ Maxx for $20/each, the monogrammed pillow is from Ikea and I made the red toile pillow out fabric left over from the curtains.

This room is a very odd shape, with two attic doors and a dormer, so there
was only room for one small nightstand by the bed. I purchased the table,
which I think is meant to be a plant stand, at a yard sale for $5.00 and the
wall-mounted lights are from Ikea.

"Gasthaus" means "guest house" in German. My dad was in the military, so I
grew up in Germany. I wanted to represent that in the room, so I hand
painted the sign above the bed on a piece of a broken antique crate.

The ottoman was a freebie, but it was "pleather" and my cats had shredded
it. I slipcovered it in a bleached drop cloth and hand painted stripes
and lettering on it to mimic an antique, European grain sack...




I made the curtains out of fabric I purchased from a remnant bin a few years ago.



I think I paid $16.00 for all of it. I hadn't planned to use it in this space, but when I was digging through my fabric stash, it immediately jumped out at me. I brought it upstairs to see how it would look in the room and it was the perfect punch of color against the whites and dark wood tones. I then trimmed the curtains in upholstery webbing that I cut in half length-wise and affixed with a glue gun. The curtain rod is from the BHG collection at Wal-Mart.

The chest in the dormer is an antique Indonesian dowry chest that my parents bought for me as a high school graduation gift.




Some kids want cars, I wanted antiques. I was a strange bird.


The 1940's alarm clock was purchased at a yard sale for $8.00, and the small fan was purchased at an antique shop for $10.00...



I inherited the baby dresses...



I found this beautiful antique walnut dresser on Craig's List for only $35.
It just needed to be revived with a little bit of stain...




The jute rug is actually a leopard print rug that I found at Hobby Lobby on clearance for $26.00. I just flipped it over to display the natural back side.

I haven't sat down and figured out a bottom line for what I spent on this
room, but it has to be well under $500. I'm still in the "tweaking" phase though, and I'm planning to make a sliding closet door out of an
antique barn door that I found at a yard sale for $5.00.


Photobucket

Isn't it great?
I can't wait to see how her sliding barn door project turns out!
We actually plan to do the same thing on the doorway that leads to our master bathroom, so maybe we'll wait and see how she does it first!




We hope you enjoyed the tour of Miss Mustard Seed's guest bedroom as much as we did, and if you've got a guest bedroom you'd like to show off, we hope you'll link to it here!

Here's how it works:

- Create a descriptive name for your re-do in the “Name” field. This will make it easier for folks to browse through all the different re-do's.

- Make sure to link to your specific guest bedroom re-do post, not the main page of your blog.

- If you want to, link to this post from your post so that all your readers can join in on the fun too.


Thanks in advance to everyone who links up!







-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wanna see what we're up to on Tybee Island?

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter!

Photobucket



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Need help arranging your furniture?
Need design help?
Check out my e-book!

28 comments:

AntiqueChase said...

Layla,
Love love your blog and have had it bookmarked for ages... just figured out how to follow.. lol

I just took a peek at Miss Mustard Seed's blog and LOVE it too.. thanks for spotlighting her or I may not have found her!

kelly said...

gorgeous!! such great details and beautiful antiques.thanks for sharing

Funky Junk Interiors said...

I was thrilled to see Miss Mustard Seed's guest room featured here. Her taste is impeccable. Great choice! :)

Donna
http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/

Simply LKJ said...

Layla,
So glad you featured her on your blog. She is quite a talented woman!! Everyone should check out what she's been up to lately getting ready for Luckett's. The pieces are incredible.

Unknown said...

I simply love her thrifty style, one of my "go to" blogs!

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Woo-hoo! It is so cool to see my little ole guest room on The Lettered Cottage. Eek! Thanks so much, Layla & Kevin!

Ness Lockyer said...

Love this. I am off to look for some red toile. What a great pop against the white.
Ness xx

Its So Very Cheri said...

Happy Anniversary Miss Mustard Seed-Love the bedroom and all the extra touches.

Can;t wait to see what both of you creative gals come up with.

Cheri

michelle said...

Beautiful room!!! Everything turned out so amazing!!! Thank you for sharing!!

Teresa said...

The bedroom is fabulous....what a great idea for the wall.
Thanks for sharing her talents with us.

Beth West www.northernskyart.wordpress.com said...

I love the clever way that they did this. It looks terrific!n

Cara said...

What a great guest bedroom! I was especially interested to see how it was decorated since I've got some equally challenging attic doors in our guest bedroom, and I haven't been sure how to decorate around them! Love the look of the masonite on the wall!

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite bedrooms - I love everything about it! She has the best style and a wonderful blog too ~ thanks for sharing it again with us.

Amanda said...

what a cute cottage like guest room. beautiful!

i linked to our guest room re-do (sans thumbnail picture... not Mrs. Techy over here so i'm not surprised i somehow did something incorrectly), but i hope at least one of your readers likes it. :) i've "tweaked" a few things since and maybe need to do an update post... but a major change from what it was. :) thanks for letting us all share.

Kathy Glynn said...

Incredible!!!

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Wow, she didn't miss a beat! It looks increadible, love all her special touches!
Take care
Kristin

Lindy said...

One of my very favorite rooms and one of the best tutorials to boot!
I have to find somewhere in my house to use this idea!

L.

WhisperWood Cottage said...

Love this room and all things Miss Mustard Seed! Great feature, Layla!!

Amy

Roeshel said...

I love Miss Mustard Seed's talent and DIY skills - this is one of my favorite rooms. I'm all packed and ready to be a guest forever! ;) Or at least snag some inspiration.

Roeshel

Anonymous said...

Hi Layla! Oh, what a lovely bedroom! Thanks for showcasing it! I'm playing along with your bedroom redos! This is fun.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for showcasing Miss Mustard Seed's guest room on your wonderful blog. You both are amazing!

Cass @ That Old House said...

Adorable guest room, very creative and welcoming. I love Miss Mustard Seed's blog -- she's wonderfully generous with tips and how-to information. I'll have to spend some time browsing your blog, too!
And I think I'll link to one of our guest rooms -- thanks! What a great way to share inspiration.
Best wishes, Cass

Allison Shops said...

Love seeing all the guest rooms. I've linked a tour of my home that shows all three of my guest rooms. We moved in five years ago, but I've only recently gotten the guest rooms 100% the way I imagined them.

Allison
Atticmag

Anonymous said...

I am amazed at the many talents of Miss Mustard Seed. Is there anything she CAN'T do?

Love the guest room post! I am so close to finishing mine...this gave me a little push!

Kacey
Shes.No.Martha

Heather at Happy Chippy Junk said...

I've never seen Ms. Seed. She is darling. It is funny to read all about someone see their home and know all their "stuff" but have never seen them before (in photo). Fun!!

Karla@TheClassyWoman said...

I love how you tied this post into a sharing feature. I love browsing through before & afters. Now I get to look at nurseries and guest bedrooms!

Her blog looks awesome and her makeover of this room is just beautiful!

smallhouseinthemeadow said...

I love your site... it's so inspirational and fills me with ideas for my own cottage.I stopped by Timeless settings as you suggested, and fell in love with the bird tray, as it reminds me of a bird we saved from a near death experience last week(a cat on the loose)I also love the Paris dishtowel.It would make it much more enjoyable doing the dishes, don't you think? Besides, I love all things Paris...
Thanks so much for your wonderful site.
(P.S my little grandaughter's name is Layla.She will be two in two months)
Have a great week,Carolyn

vikki said...

Wow, just found this site. So fun to look at all the cool ideas.